Friday, June 25, 2010

O(mygod)CANADA

G20 family photoImage by Downing Street via Flickr

While I have no inclination to protest anything, I do have the right to freely walk the streets. I have no intention of smashing anything, nor am I affiliated with any group.

Check that, in the full interest of disclosure, I am affiliated with one group. I have a birth certificate that affiliates me with Canada, which is theoretically backed up by a constuitution. Apparently the government of Ontario (which has no jurisdiction) decided that they would pass a "regulation" that violates the constitution.

OK, now I'm mad. Unfortunately, the argument has been framed that all protesters are wackos, and the reductionist media commonly refers to protesters as a circus. Except at the circus, people don't get shot and the violent animals are kept separate from the audience.

I think protesting is useless, but I realise that protest is an important anchor in a healthy democracy and I support the right of all people to protest peacefully.

The following words are from our constitution.

 Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.
 Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned.

But this is not what is happening downtown as the Emporerati prepare to gather. If the leaders of the world are afraid to walk amongst the people, perhaps the legitimacy of their mandate should be brought into question.

This is what is happening in the downtown Torontostan:


Cha ching


Run! He has a weird looking car!


Asians and whites are free to proceed.,


I like this guy, he's a shit disturber, whose only crime is trying to get you to ask questions about your world. Unfortunately, he is being held by authorities

Ya know, I truly have no intention of protesting anything at the G20 Summit. However, I do plan to freely express my rights as a free citizen to wander freely in my own hometown. I had no intention of protesting, but when the state arbitrarily violates my constitutional rights, its a problem for me. A big problem.

I support the right of all citizens of the world to aspire to the democratic privilege that I was born into. The arbitrary seizure of my civil rights by the state is an affront to my credibility as a Canadian, or maybe George Carlin is right.






So I will be taking my camera and ID down there tomorrow after the soccer. I'm just wondering which soccer jersey is  most likely to get me detained illegally. Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan or Canada? Or should I just screw with their heads and put on the Angola jersey?

Yes, it is entirely possible that I could be arrested because the cops don't like the shirt I'm wearing. Hopefully the $930,000,000 security budget includes dealing with all the lawsuits that will flow from this event, and if you think it is even remotely acceptable that an innocent citizen should be illegally detained because of his or her T shirt, then you are the answer to the question of how genocides can happen.

Please comment on facebook, and I will adorn myself accordingly.

"The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is that good people do nothing"  Edmund Burke

These motherfuckers have gone too far.